1. Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children.
2. Stephen King, The Gunslinger.
3. Clive Barker, The Hellbound Heart.
4. Lord Dunsany, The King of Elfland's Daughter (Preface).
5. Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness.
6. Ian Fleming, Casino Royale.
7. H. P. Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness.
8. Richard Matheson, I Am Legend.
9. William Gibson, Neuromancer.
10. G. K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday.
Honorary mentions go to...
Ed who (albeit without specifying which quote) wrote:
"The only one I recognized right off the bat is I am Legend."
Which I guess qualifies for a sort of point.
lazy who wrote:
"Number two is so obvious (and excellent) I don't really even want to answer. And of course it has that bonus feature that would be a spoiler to anyone who hasn't read... all of it.
Four should be Dunsany, is my guess, The King of Elfland's Daughter?
Five sounds familiar... looked it up and was right! Conrad, Heart of Darkness."
Which if taking the first "unnamed" named, together with the "looked it up" gives a total of at least two points any which way one looks at it.
And finally, Ikeaboy who wrote:
"1- midnight's children
6 - casino royale
8- i am legend (the name gave it away)
didn't include authors's names, because that's just too obvious. so there."
Which, even with subtraction for failure to cite author names, does give us a winner of the quiz with four correctly cited titles.
So I give you the Quiz Master: IKEABOY!
Hope you all enjoyed the guessing. May do another one at some point in the future.